Saturday, January 22, 2011

Switcheroo Goulash

So, I'd gotten some meat out of the freezer, thinking I'd be broiling some steaks for tonight.  Turns out, I'd grabbed sirloin tip vs. grabbing top sirloin steaks.  Sirloin tip is a meat that lends itself better to braising vs. broiling.  Recipe switcheroo time!

Goulash (not strictly paleo, due to tamari sauce, but pretty close):
This recipe is based on what my mom makes based on the recipe in her (not kidding) 1970's Betty Crocker cookbook.  One of the changes: we don't use shortening.
Ingredients:
Sirloin tip.  I'm guessing it was around 1-1.5 lbs.
7 onions sliced (these appear to fill up the pan quite a bit, but don't worry, they cook down A LOT.)
1 clove garlic
Can of tomato paste and maybe 1 Tbl of tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)  [The recipe actually calls for 3/4 cup catsup and 2 Tbl Wor....shire sauce, this was my substitution to have less sugar and not have high fructose corn syrup.]
Squeeze honey (or 1 Tbl brown sugar)
2 t salt
2 t paprika
1/2 t ground mustard (dry)
dash of cayenne or chipotle
water to cover (couple cups)

Add beef, onion, and garlic in a large pan, with a splash of olive oil.  Cook until onions cook down and meat is brown.  Add the rest of the ingredients, cover, and simmer for 2-2.5 hours.

I served this over cauliflower instead of egg noodles.

Scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment