Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Egg Bites

So, this is something I've been making for a while.  They are like Egg muffins or mini-crustless quiches, or whatever.  I originally got the idea from Kalyns Kitchen Blog, but there are a bunch of similar-ish type recipes out there.

Cooled down, apres smush egg muffins


What I do:
The filling: saute up some vegetables.  I always try to put in onions and peppers, but also will throw in whatever I have: spinach, asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, left over bok choy in this version, green onions, cabbage (warning: red cabbage will turn the things blue-ish), etc.  Bacon or something would also be delicious.

The egg mixture:  It will probably take somewhere between 6-12 eggs.  Depending on what I want as far as the protein content, I might use some whole eggs and some just whites, all whole eggs, or if I'm feeling especially lazy, those egg white beater carton things you can buy (these work just fine, but will be a bit moister at the end.  Moister could also be read as mushier, or more-easily-fall-apart-er).  Crack into a bowl and beat, you can add spices like cumin, salt, and pepper, or curry and cardamom, or cayenne, or nothing.

I have a silicon muffin tin (flexible and easy to pop out) that I use, but it still needs some non-stick spray.  Metal would also work, but definitely be liberal with some non-stick spray.  I don't know how well those muffin paper cups would do, I've never tried it.

Fill up the tins 1/2-3/4 full of the veggie mix.  Fill with egg mixture, to cover the veggies, or also around 3/4 full.  Give them a little stir to make sure everything is mixed together.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for around 35 minutes.  They will puff up while cooking, then smush down after they are cool.  Let them cool all the way before putting them into any tupperware type thing, else you'll get some condensation and more mushiness.

How to eat: warm, cold, for breakfast, on the go, after workouts, quick snack, etc.  You can smother them in salsa and avocado.  Or bruschetta is also good, I learned tonight.  Apparently they are supposed to freeze well.  I can attest that they do, in fact, freeze, but I don't know how well they taste when they un-freeze yet.

Scooter

Update 1/20/11:  I made another batch of these, and with some of them I put a slice of deli ham in the muffin tin first, then put veggies inside the ham slice, filled with egg.  DELICIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment