Sunday, January 23, 2011

Crockpot Whole Chicken

This time, in lieu of making a mess of the oven again, I decided to go with cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot.  Cooking the bird in the CP seems to result in a very moist, meat-fall-off-the-bone effect, but definitely without the delicious, crispy skin of the roasting bird.  I can't find the exact recipe now, but I think I got the basic idea somewhere off of http://everydaypaleo.com/.

The method:
Rinse and pat dry (with paper towels) a whole chicken.  Remove giblets, tail, etc.  Cut up a few onions, and place in the crockpot.  Put the chicken on top.  Realize that the rather large chicken you have is too big for the CP with all those onions and the lid doesn't fit on. Take the chicken and enough onions out of the CP, until you can fit the bird in, and re-distribute the onions around it.  I shook the following over the bird, in unmeasured quantities:
Salt
Pepper
Tuscan seasoning (some random combo of italian-ish spices)
Garlic
Parsley
Paprika SURPRISE!  (This was actually chipotle pepper.  I didn't read the label, and it was pretty much the same color.  Rather a shock.  Much spicier.)

Cook on low for 7ish hours.  You don't need to add liquid, the chicken will make its own. The meat will basically fall off the bone when you try to cut it or pull it off.

Review: Good, very tender, but not the best spice blend with the random italian-chipotle combo.  It would need cumin or something as well.  Or just salt and pepper.  Next time I think I'll try a garlic-lemon-salt-pepper chicken.

After pulling all the meat of the bones and carcass, I put all the leftover bones, tendons, skin, gristle, onions, whatever back in the crockpot and filled it up about 3/4 with water.  I will let this simmer on low overnight, strain out the bones and solid bits, and make my own broth!

Scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment