Friday, June 10, 2011

Dehydrated Sweet Potato Chips

These aren't quite done yet, but I needed to write down the prep steps before I forget:
5 medium sweet potatoes roasted in the oven at 400 for 30-40 minutes.
Let cool.
Peel, slice into rounds ~1/8" thick
Sprinkle with salt and (too much) pepper.  (Next time - just the barest of turns with the pepper grinder.)
Filled up all the trays of my dehydrator.
After 12 hours they were still flat out wet.
After 24 hours they were still moist and pliable
After 32 hours they were mostly dry, but not quite there.
They'd better be done by the 48th hour tonight, 'cause I'm slamming jerky back in there soon.

Scoot

48th hour:  Um, still not dry.  Next time, must cut even thinner, in spite of risk of mushing.

60th hour: Good enough.  They're interesting and good, but not the raging success I had hoped for.  Something to play with anyway.  Might try the mandoline slicer next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment