Thursday, March 17, 2011

Shepherd's Pie - Paleo. Ish (has green beans). And is more of a Cottage Pie, anyway.

Contribution to work potluck:

4 parsnips, grated or peeled into small bits.  Put in a bowl with some chopped green onions, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and set aside.

In a big saute pan (or wok, in my case):
Saute some onions and garlic in olive oil.  When they are started to get carmelized and crispy, add 1.5 lbs. ground turkey, and some salt and pepper.  When the turkey is done, add a big package of thawed frozen veggies.  The one I chose was carrots, bell peppers, green beans, onion, and cauliflower.  I also added a frozen cube of chicken stock.  Simmer until it all seems done-ish, and the liquid is reduced a little bit.
Heat the oven to 400.
Put the veggie mixture into the pan.  Mix in a bunch of cilantro.  Mix an egg into the parsnips, then spread the parsnips on top.  Bake for 25-35 minutes.  It seems like I sprinkled dried parsley somewhere in this recipe, but I can't actually remember where......

Yum!

scooter

This recipe was basically a mish-mash of ideas I got based on several recipes I perused on the web, potentially including but not limited to:
Steve's Paleo Zone
Mark's Daily Apple
Crossfit Genius

Oh, supposedly a "shepherd's pie" should include lamb.  Cottage pies include other meats.  Or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment