Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tilapia, Fennel, and Tomato Stew

This was based off a recipe on the Whole Foods market website.

I defrosted a few tilapia fillets.  They thaw really quick when you cover them with cool water, which was nice.

Heat olive oil in a large saute pan.  Add two chopped yellow onions.  Saute for a few minutes.  Add a fennel bulb, chopped small and cook for another few minutes.  Add a few shakes salt, pepper, a can of tomatoes with the juice, a few cubes of chicken broth, a pinch of saffron, and a cup of water.  Turn up to high, when it comes to a boil, turn the heat down and add the tilapia fillets.  Cook for another 10-15 minutes, breaking up the fish into chunks if you'd like.

It would serve about 4.  It could use some additional spice embellishment, but the flavors are good.  It was my first time cooking with fennel.  And saffron, for that matter.  I can't say I could taste the saffron in particular, but the stuff I used was pretty old.  I mean, like my age old - it's been in my mom's spice jar for a loooong time.

Munch on!
scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment