Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Curry Beef Soup

I've almost decided there should be a weekly (maybe bi-monthly, realistically, on average) curry recipe on the blog.  Yum, curry.  It could be like an homage to Bridget Jones - a blog version of a turkey curry buffet.  With other meats.  This one is based on this recipe from Everyday Paleo.

Shop:
1 white onion
1/2 red onion
thumb-sized piece of ginger
8 cloves garlic (yes, I love garlic.  I recommend scaling for many people.)

Start this all sauteeing with a slug of sesame oil, mongolian fire oil, and about a tablespoon of curry paste on the low end of medium-low.
After about 5 minutes, add 1 lb ground beef.  Add the following spices:
bunch of shakes curry powder
couple+ shakes turmeric
couple+ shakes cumin
couple shakes saigon cinnamon  (I've never added cinnamon to a curry, and the smell was divine!)

Continue chopping some broccoli into small florets, and add when the beef is pretty done.  After a few minutes, add a can of coconut milk, and enough broth, water, or more coconut milk to cover.  (I added water and some of my paprika surprise! chicken broth cubes.  What do you know, I found a use for them quickly.)

Chop:
1/2 bell pepper
1 zucchini

Add these to the mix.  Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let simmer for 10 minutes.  I ate it as was, and didn't serve it over cauliflower or anything like that.

Reflections:  One might wonder why this is called a soup, when it's basically very similar to any other curry I've made.  The answer:  I usually make curries in my large, deep saute pan, and this time I made it in a soup pot.  It's a geography is destiny kind of thing.

Plans for the weekend:  I'd like to muck around with some old/some new kitchen toys.  The new: a food processor.  I'm thinking pesto to break the thing in.  The old: a mandoline slicer and a food dehydrator.  I'm thinking zucchini chips.  The old/new:  paleo muffins in my silicon muffin pan.  If I finally remember to bring the pan home from work, where it is currently acting as a block to anyone trying to put anything else on my desk.

Gherkin on a stick,
scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment