Saturday, February 5, 2011

Curry Casserole and Paleo Apple Muffins

The key word in the bi-monthly curry post was "average."  Anyway, decided to try a recipe based on Purely Primal's Thai Curry Casserole:

I took 4 turkey burgers (the frozen ones from costco), broke them up, and cooked them on the stove top with a bunch of turmeric, ground black pepper, and sesame oil.
The butternut squash I got was already cubed (I used about 1.3 lbs of it), and I chopped up some broccoli and cauliflower (probably about 1/3 head ea).
Tear the leaves of a bunch of kale.  I'd recommend a HUGE bunch of kale, 'cause it's awesome, mine was only small-medium sized.
Preheat oven to 350.
Meanwhile, in a glass mixing bowl, I whisked together:
3/4 can coconut milk
longer-than-thumb-long piece of ginger, minced
2 tbl thai curry paste
couple splashes of tamari sauce (wheat-free soy sauce)
couple shakes powdered garlic
couple shakes curry powder

The guy recommends getting a BIG mixing bowl.  He's not kidding.  Mix up 3/4 of the kale, the turkey, and the veggies, and pour over about 3/4 of the whisked liquid.  Stir it all up, and put into some pans for baking - this ended up filling an 8x8 pan as well as a 11x7 pan for me.  Add the rest of the kale and the rest of the liquid to the mixing bowl again, stir it up, put it all on top.
Cover with foil, bake for 35 min.  Take the foil off, bake for another 25, or until the squash is done.

Review:
Really good, especially the kale on top that got a little crispy in parts, but a little sweeter than I was expecting for some reason.  In general, with length of prep and baking, number of steps, and number of bowls etc. dirtied, not something that will enter regular rotation. I'll keep it in mind for occasions, though.  This made enough for like 5-6 more meals for me.

Paleo Apple Muffins!


I've been excited to try these, it's based on Everyday Paleo's Apple Muffins.

A note on measurements - I generally don't measure anything, so I'm guesstimating on this. Cooker beware!  (Caveat Coqutor?)
In a large bowl, add:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup almond butter (I had the maranatha or whatever it's called brand on hand.)
5 eggs
3/4 apple, finely chopped
1 ripe banana, chopped or mushed up
Lots and lots of cinnamon (I love cinnamon, to the point where people think I'm weird.*)
a few shakes of ginger
a pinch of baking soda

Mix it all up, divvy into muffin pans.  This made enough for about 14 muffins.  My muffin pan has 12 spots, so I also filled up some random tiny tart pans or something.  Bake at 350 for a little over 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

These were really, really good.  They look somewhat unappealing, especially before being cooked, with their medium brown color with lighter colored intrusions, but they were awesome.  They'd be even better with honey, either included or spread on top.

The final products:
Dinner and dessert, anyone?

The bird's the word,
scooter

*Everybody usually thinks I'm weird anyway, I'm trying to emphasize that in addition to my base, standard weirdness, they think I'm really, rather excessively weird about cinnamon in particular.  What can I say, it's good.  Especially roasted saigon cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment