Wednesday, May 18, 2011

More Beef Jerky "Recipes"

Beef Jerky Rounds 3 and 4 involved an eye of round roast, cut to ~ 1/8" thick by the butcher.  The eye of round roast seemed to have less visible fat than the rump roasts I had been using.  They both spun for around 24 hours in the dehydrator, were probably on the over-dry side of the spectrum, and they were both dry rubs:

Curry:
Ground Sea Salt
Ground Pepper
Turmeric
Hot Madras Curry Powder
Other generic Curry Powder

This basically tastes like dry curry powder.  Which is good, but it's not my favorite.

Chili Powder:
Ground Sea Salt
Ground Pepper
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder

I like this one better than the curry, the spice is just a little deeper.  Although you have to watch out for pockets of intense chili powder clumping.

With both of these, I took an empty spice jar, filled it with whatever proportion of ea. spice, shook it all together, and used that to dispense the spice mix.

I think it is time to start experimenting with some wet marinades.  A couple combos I am considering:
Pineapple juice and ginger
Whisky and .....well, whisky.

Scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment