Monday, April 11, 2011

Zucchini Patties and a Turkey Burger

I decided yesterday's breakfast, while certainly packing a protein punch, was lacking in veggies.  Decided to put zucchini patties on top of this round instead of just an egg:
I need to vary the colors of the plates and backgrounds in these pictures.....
Turkey burger:  Defrost overnight.  Cook in a pan on medium-hot, about 3 minutes on each side.  Let rest before cutting into or eating it so it can re-absorb some juices.

Zucchini Cakes:
Grate one zucchini.  (About 6-7" long.)
I grated it into a colander and sprinkled salt on it.  I then took the J-dog on a walk - I was trying to draw some of the water out.  When I got back, I squeezed the zucchini with some paper towels to get them drier.  I am making these again tomorrow, but this time I grated the zucchini at night and will let it sit overnight in the colander, try to get even more moisture out.
In a bowl, crack an egg and beat it.  I decided this didn't really look like enough binding agent, so I added another egg white.  This was probably unnecessary.  Add the zucchini in, mix it all together.
Grease the brand-new cast iron skillet with coconut oil, heat up, and plop the zucchini-egg mixture on.  This made 5 patties about 3" across.  The first three I made I probably cooked for 4-5 minutes each side, and the last two, which I deliberately made thinner, cooked faster and were a little better.  So take the time to spread the zucchini blobs out a little bit.

These were also delicious cold later in the day as a snack.

I'm thinking curry spices (turmeric, cumin, coriander) would be a really good addition in the zucchini patties as well.

Enjoy!
Scooter

Based on ideas found in Robb Wolf's forum here and here at Balanced Bites

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scooter, thanks for sharing this on Chowstalker! I'm going to have to remember to try this when zucchini starts coming in from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just made this, it was super yummy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete