Sunday, December 15, 2013

Barbecue Sauce

Decided to try to make some of my own BBQ sauce again today.  I didn't follow any specific recipe, but looked at a bunch and meshed into my own ideas.  I tried to find all the "smoky" things I had.

Pre-pre-prep:
Pull out a package of caramelized onions from the freezer.

Pre-prep:
brew a cup of Stash "Caravan" loose-leaf tea.  It's a tea that is "a dark, robust tea with a distinct smoky flavor."  I really wanted the smoky flavor.  I also add a few cardamom seeds, a few crushed coffee beans, whole cloves, and a sprig of fresh rosemary to the cup.  Let it brew while I made and ate breakfast.

Prep:
In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine:
1 28 oz. carton San Marzano tomatoes
finely diced caramelized onions
the pre-prep cup of tea, with all solids removed
Couple drops of Red Boat fish sauce
Couple Tablespoons of Dijon-Horesradish mustard
A little bit of pomegranate balsamic vinegar.  (I wanted to use espresso, but I was out.)  Maybe 2 teaspoons
A bit of apple cider vinegar.  Maybe 1 T.
A  bit of coconut aminos.  Maybe a little less than 1 T.
Couple pinches of hickory-smoked salt

Couple shakes of:
Penzey's BBQ 3000
Cumin
Chili Powder
Garlic
Black Pepper
Smoked Paprika

Smaller shakes of:
ginger
cinnamon

Let it simmer until desired thickness.  (on Medium for me, low was too low.)  Stir occasionally.  Mine will be simmering for at least 30 minutes.

Scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment