Monday, February 18, 2013

Vegetarian Chile Verde

Not Paleo, BTW, it has lentils in it.

We were having Chile Verde day here at work, so I thought I'd give a try at a Vegetarian version for the meat-averse.  I got the basic from a Giada de Laurentiis recipe.  I think it turned out really well.  The lentils added a lot of thickness to the texture.

In a large saucepan, saute the following in olive oil:
2 med. onions
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
couple cloves garlic.

Saute for 10-15 minutes, stir frequently to prevent burning.

Add:
Couple shakes of salt, pepper, and cumin.
2 -12 oz.jars of verde salsa (I used a brand from Smith's marketplace that had good ingredients).
I also added about 2 cups of water (or broth).
Bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Add 1 cup lentils, make sure there is plenty of liquid as the lentils will absorb it.

Simmer another 20 minutes or until the lentils are done.

Scoot

I was thinking of using this base, adding chicken, and dehydrating for a backpacking meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment