Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dehydrated Stuff

More dehydrated stuff:

Tonight, I shredded about 3/4 of a peeled, uncooked sweet potato, and spread it out on a sheet for the dehydrator.  Cut out a piece of parchment paper to act as a another sheet and also did 2 trays of frozen veggies (about 16 oz. of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots).  

Decided to try dehydrating pre-cooked chicken sausage.  It was the andouille flavored Amylu (?) brand from Costco, I sliced up 4 links, about 1/4" thick (probably should have done thinner).  I cooked them in the microwave for 1 min, just to heat them up and help release some of the fat, which I blotted with paper towels.  I then put them in a colander, and poured very hot water over them a few times (a tip I picked up off the internet for people who were drying ground beef - it should help get out even more fat).  Blot with paper towels again, throw on the dehydrator, filled up one tray.  

We'll see how this turns out - I am planning on re-hydrating for lunch at work sometime this week to test this whole theory out.  I'll probably combine all the ingredients, plus a few spices.....

Scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment