Sunday, April 15, 2012

Backpacking Tuna Salad Idea

So, here's an idea for a lunch while backpacking.

A)  I bought some freeze-dried sweet potatoes.  When I test re-hydrated these by just adding hot water, they took a loooong time to re-hydrate.  Hours.  Decided that would not be ideal for dinner, b/c it would either take too long, or take too much fuel.

The madness:
Dried some celery and a can of tuna (as well as a can of salmon, to see how they compare and re-hydrate).  It only took like 7 hours to dry.  Cool.

The method:
I am going to combine some celery, sweet potatoes, and tuna in a container in the morning, add hot water, and let it re-hydrate until lunchtime.  I'm thinking I will eat it on a coconut wrap.

Depending on how this goes, I will also try it but with adding some dried coconut milk powder.  (Not paleo - it does have casein in it.)

Update tomorrow-ish!

Scooter

Update 4/17/12:  Worked beautifully.  I added about 1.5 cups hot water to 1/4 cup dried sweet potatoes, 1/8 cup dried celery, and 1 can dried tuna.  Let it re-hydrate for about 3.5-4 hours.   I didn't add any spices, but sprinkled a little salt on, it could use more.  I think this will work really well on the trail.

Next try I will also add a little bit of dried coconut milk for a curry-ish taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment